werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally signed up and oh bought a new car :)

+10
dc1909
pauly
calisfar
Mav666
PompeySteve
GavTheMighty
Lord Chris
tux
Monkeymagic
Tristan315
14 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Finally signed up and oh bought a new car :) - Page 4 Empty Re: Finally signed up and oh bought a new car :)

Post by Tristan315 Sat 04 May 2013, 05:54

Yeah, I have a feeling it's going to get expensive fast Sad I should probably just fit the head with the steam vent kit and do the rings along with a full engine rebuild... just seems like it would be the time to go bigger if I was to... Having said that though I've only driven her with the standard head and shes crazy fast as she stands.... Ahhh I just don't know lol!!
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Finally signed up and oh bought a new car :) - Page 4 Empty Re: Finally signed up and oh bought a new car :)

Post by pauly Sat 04 May 2013, 06:48

When I drove WUF it seemed like the turbo was a little big, strong power over 5k but a bit laggy.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Sat 11 May 2013, 08:26

Tristan315 wrote:It's like 28 days later... I've woken up and everyone is missing affraid

Hear from you in another 28 days then Smile .
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 14 May 2013, 21:51

Hehe under 28 days!! Oh and hits 5k rpm pretty fast though when you work the gears Smile

Been reading a lot and trying to find out what some of the parts I have actually are i.e. the spare turbo. Have contacted the previous owner (just now) so fingers crossed he will reply. Seriously considering modifying the head further to mate with a 3ltr bottom end Wink

My friend has 2 S2 engines, is fixing one so will have a spare bottom end and assorted parts soooooo kind of thinking that it would be rude not to, just need to research crank, pistons and rods more though.... Also reading through the creators (WUF's) notes on his site, the 403bhp rolling road run was with a standard head Smile Muwhahahaha I believe is a good response to this !!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

MOT is next month so currently buying new red stuff pads all round and front rotors, belts and rollers are due along with water pump, headlight washer pump needs replacing, new plugs, air and oil filter and fluids all round me thinks. Hoping for no surprises in the MOT but I guess you never know! Think thats enough to spend this month affraid

Anyone used a modified 2.5 turbo head on a 3.0 litre bottom end here ? Thoughts, advice welcome Smile
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Wed 15 May 2013, 04:05

Tristan315 wrote:Hehe under 28 days!! Oh and hits 5k rpm pretty fast though when you work the gears Smile
Anyone used a modified 2.5 turbo head on a 3.0 litre bottom end here ? Thoughts, advice welcome Smile

See you dont need that spare turbo Laughing . If you want to use a 2.5 head on a 3.0 block you have to weld a block of alloy onto the head and machine it so it matches the water passages at the front of the 3.0 block, or you find a 2.7 head that has big inlet valves as standard and bolts straight on to the 3.0 block. I told Ben to convert WUF to 3.0 but he already had a 996TT at that point.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Wed 15 May 2013, 23:19

Hola, Ben sent me a reply about the spare turbo...

"First things first, the turbo is simply the LR75 (can't remember the exact code but the biggest one Lindsey racing offer). I took it to Turbo Technics the UK turbo gurus and told them to make it good. They said although it looked a bit 'American' on the outside it was actually not bad and although badly balanced it machined up ok on their machine and ran well in high speed testing. So now it's a better and hopefully longer living version of the same turbo that's on the car at the moment. The reason Lyndsey change the hotside from the original Garret is because the mounting on the standard turbo doesn't fit the 944."

He also gave me some advice about messing with the bottom end, saying stroking it to 2.8 would be the way to go and TBH 3.0 litre does look a little expensive at the mo (as in I'm not rich)... Aghh more to think about, good job it's a fun thing to think/ponder over!!!

At least I can focus on the basic things needed for the MOT while thinking about this Smile
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Sat 18 May 2013, 05:56

For a 2.8 you need a S2 crank and coincidentally wildoliver on the Tipec forum had one for sale in Yorkshire for £50 which is a bargain. Maybe I could use the coldside off your old turbo on WUF ?.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 21 May 2013, 09:04

Hey guys, it FINALLY arrived!! I ordered a short shift gear link about 1.5 months ago and it arrived today and after 20 min playing under the car I had it fitted ThumbsUp Used the top bracket for the support arm and all slotted in like a glove, throw on the gear stick is awesome now Smile REALLY sold and so so short Smile Bought the shark Motorsport one... expensive yes but it's so good to have a short shift back on WUF!!

I sold my old na to a friend and he has a couple of s2 engines to play with so fingers crossed I have a crank. He knows a good machine shop so we are pricing up the rest for a 2.8 conversion, will be A LOT cheaper than say the LR kit, but you have to bore out to 100.5 kinda thinking if we have to bore then I may as well go for a bigger capacity...

Will be swapping the current turbo for the new balanced one, WUF smokes occasionally and it's either the bottom end or the turbo... From the times that she does it though (from my limited knowledge) it would be in keeping with the turbo so not too sure what condition it will be in once its off...

Current plan though...
MOT
Rolling road see where she is at
Head, belts and turbo swap
Rolling road see where we are now
2.8 stroker or more ....

This does change daily though (well ish) but the top 4 are the plan for now with the rest to follow depending on stats from the road Smile

Just need to sit on my pc for a few months and not spend much Smile

Also just bought two spare wishbones... thinking a rose jointed version may not be too hard to make Smile affraid
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Tue 21 May 2013, 09:12

Would be great to see the beast at a meet at some point.
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

http://Www.pwphoto.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Tue 21 May 2013, 09:28

Tristan315 wrote:Hey guys, it FINALLY arrived!! I ordered a short shift gear link about 1.5 months ago and it arrived today and after 20 min playing under the car I had it fitted ThumbsUp Used the top bracket for the support arm and all slotted in like a glove, throw on the gear stick is awesome now Smile REALLY sold and so so short Smile Bought the shark Motorsport one... expensive yes but it's so good to have a short shift back on WUF!!

Will be swapping the current turbo for the new balanced one, WUF smokes occasionally and it's either the bottom end or the turbo... From the times that she does it though (from my limited knowledge) it would be in keeping with the turbo so not too sure what condition it will be in once its off...

Smile There's 2 positions on the Shark linkage did you use the shorter shift of the 2 ?, I did on mine and I'm thinking of trying the 2nd too loosen the shift up a little. Send that old smokey turbo to me Wink .
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 21 May 2013, 10:30

Would be good to come to a meet! Smile My sister is getting married this year though so most days off are tied up in that (bar 4 days). I thin RR gathering is on the week before though so may try to get there (been once before and gear linkage broke on the way down) really need to try the hill climb Smile !!

I have the support arm from linkage to gearbox in the top slot (bigger leaver shorter shift ? was my thinking it has been a long day though)... Its very firm with a short throw, very different to the na link. Forgot how nice short shifts were Smile Had an na on for about a year...
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Tue 21 May 2013, 20:36

Tristan315 wrote:

I have the support arm from linkage to gearbox in the top slot (bigger leaver shorter shift ? was my thinking it has been a long day though)... Its very firm with a short throw, very different to the na link. Forgot how nice short shifts were Smile Had an na on for about a year...

It's been a while since I fitted my Shark linkage and I cant remember which position gave the shortest throw. I'm a long way from Yorkshire so unless you're planning to attend something down here I probably wont see WUF again.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Fri 31 May 2013, 23:00

Hey guys, hope all is well!

Aye I may try the bottom setting tomorrow when I'm swapping one of the front arms (failed MOT on the ball joint) so have bought a reconditioned unit to replace. I do REALLY! like the weight and short throw that the top setting gives though.

I am learning AutoCAD at the moment though and am designing a set of rose jointed lightweight control arms and some rear mono-block mounts with mounting for a lower strut brace (well that's the plan... for a mini project) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . Going quite well I have the prototype mounts drawn just need to tweak the strut mount and apply the measurements once I have them figured out ThumbsUp . Quite a fun little project though even if it only means that I learn how to use AutoCAD !! The price to buy the mounts and arms is a tad silly affraid !!!

Trying to find insurance with track day cover at the moment... Just so much fun.... headbang headbang headbang

Quoted £920 at the mo with no track cover...
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Sat 01 Jun 2013, 22:42

Tristan315 wrote:Hey guys, hope all is well!

Aye I may try the bottom setting tomorrow when I'm swapping one of the front arms (failed MOT on the ball joint) so have bought a reconditioned unit to replace. I do REALLY! like the weight and short throw that the top setting gives though.

I am learning AutoCAD at the moment though and am designing a set of rose jointed lightweight control arms and some rear mono-block mounts with mounting for a lower strut brace (well that's the plan... for a mini project) Twisted Evil Twisted Evil . Going quite well I have the prototype mounts drawn just need to tweak the strut mount and apply the measurements once I have them figured out ThumbsUp . Quite a fun little project though even if it only means that I learn how to use AutoCAD !! The price to buy the mounts and arms is a tad silly affraid !!!

KOKELN make these parts and more, check out their website for inspiration Smile .
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 21:13

Mmmm shiny Smile no prices though unless I'm being blind...

WUF has a new MOT though!! woot!! not too bad on the old wallet either so that's always a bonus!

Just been to Halfords to buy some filler, primer and satin black paint Muwhahahah Twisted Evil I have a spare badge panel so am cutting vents and spraying black, thinking red and black is an awesome combo but wont be sure till its on the car... Thinking black nose, wing mirrors and stone guards and maybe spoiler... wheels hmmm but first things first going to try the nose... Will put up some pics once done... in like 3 years probably haha...

Also have some tube for the exhaust want to get rid of the huge ricer can on the back and go back to the dual pipes, thought they looked looooads better!!!!

Have also removed the run flat spare (have tyreweld), rear carpet and seats which together is a decent chunk of weight out of the car... Power to weight wise 1330kg standard 1986+ 944 Turbo (although have seen 1225-1360kg quoted !?) and IF still 403 at flywheel PWR = 303.1... Hehe 911 GT3 RS has 301 Wink so using the prev weights even if all that weight was just 30kg that pushes PWR to 310 ( Porsche 959 - (PWR=315) ). Need scales for accurate figures and a rolling road trip so above is theory! but I can tell it's made a difference already and there is a lot more to potentially go at... Just need to think about it... Hmmmmm .... Well my aircon needs gassing anyway.... hehe...
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Tue 04 Jun 2013, 23:24

Smile I've got the original twin pipe setup (actually twin silencers) off WUF on my car now and it was so noisy I had to fit baffles to them, sounds good now though. I may be interested in that "ricer can" you've got too.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 04 Jun 2013, 23:27

LoL don't do it!! cool will see how it goes not 100% what the plan is yet i.e if the ricer is being chopped and modified or starting a fresh Smile
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Mon 24 Jun 2013, 01:43

Update ?.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Tristan315 Tue 02 Jul 2013, 01:18

Work, sleep, work, work, work, collapse, sleep, work....

Sad Not much fun at the moment... My friend has his lathe back though and has almost made the first set of rear control arm mounts Smile

I had some spare headlight covers from my 924 so I sanded these down primed and sprayed them satin black, to match the black stone guards that I have bought to go on the car (red and black can't go wrong!!) but I was wrong to assume the 924 and 944 headlights covers are the same size... close but no cigar and they did look a bit odd too so no big loss... I have modified my spare badge panel though by cutting 924 turbo style holes in it just need to find a neat way to cover them (thinking rubber seal round edge with black mesh in the middle) but need to find suitable bits still. Also have to fill the bumps and spray... Was going to try satin black again but will see Smile not sure how odd a black badge panel would look on a red car...?

So yeah nothing great to report I'm afraid...
Tristan315
Tristan315
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Tue 02 Jul 2013, 01:27

Reckon if you did the light covers and the badge panel satin black it could like quite good.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Tue 02 Jul 2013, 04:42

Tristan315 wrote:
have modified my spare badge panel though by cutting 924 turbo style holes in it just need to find a neat way to cover them (thinking rubber seal round edge with black mesh in the middle) but need to find suitable bits still. Also have to fill the bumps and spray... Was going to try satin black again but will see :)not sure how odd a black badge panel would look on a red car...?

Your car fella, your choice. Personally I think it will look at bit too ricer. Neutral 
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Tue 02 Jul 2013, 05:46

I've always thought the 24 turbo vents would look good on a 44. Keen to see the result.
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

http://Www.pwphoto.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Fri 26 Jul 2013, 08:33

Is there anybody there ?.
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Fri 26 Jul 2013, 08:39

Nah, they all jumped ship! Laughing 
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pauly Sun 28 Jul 2013, 09:14

Turn the lights off Wink .
pauly
pauly
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next