werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best option

4 posters

Go down

Best option Empty Best option

Post by Monkeymagic Thu 23 Dec 2010, 18:40

Was watching Wheeler Dealers the other day and they had a VW Camper van with rough body work

As im looking at getting the Banana done in March time - it got me thinking bout doing the same to the Banana as they did to the VW

Have not had a price for spraying and making good the bodywork but they done the whole VW for about a grasnd and it looked brillant so mine should not cost as much as the whol;e lot dont need to be done and would be cheaper

Any thoughts on this one folks????
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

http://www.highways.gov.uk

Back to top Go down

Best option Empty Re: Best option

Post by tux Thu 23 Dec 2010, 19:51

You talking about the T25 builders van that they vinyl wrapped?
To be fair, the biggest cost involved in a respray is the prep and that would still have to be done or the grot will continue to fester under the vinyl and will still bubble through after a year or two. Vinyl has a maximum outdoor life of 7 years too and probably less in a harsh environment like car bodywork.
For my money there is no contest, it would be proper paint every time.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Thu 23 Dec 2010, 20:18

Thats my biggest problem - i have no where to work on the car
I use a mates peice of land at the bottom of his garden under a tree.

I know a full respray is about 2 k and i cant afford that - its really only the front that needs doing with a small dent in the rear quater.

Dont even know where to take it either - when i done the interior at the start of the year, i took the car to a company in Yatton and they wanted 2 k just to make good the bodywork and 2 k to retrim the interior which i got done for 450 in the end.

The bodywork really does need to be done as its letting the car down badly

2012 will be a engine rebuild i reckon

Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Chris Thu 23 Dec 2010, 20:38

You need to go to the pub and ask around!

I'm sure someone will know of a mate who sprays
Lord Chris
Lord Chris
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Thu 23 Dec 2010, 20:44

Thats the problem - i dont go to the pub and i dont want a bloke in his garage in the garden spraying it with cans.

Tux - thought it was a camper van but u got the right one - looked pretty cool with bubblw style vynal
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Thu 23 Dec 2010, 22:37

Best bet would be to get a copy of the Yellow Pages and look up accident repairs or bodyshops. Then be prepared to spend a good while on the phone.
A respray can easily cost up to £2K and more, but there are places out there that can do a good job for a lot less. Phone places and sound them out. Get a shortlist together and then visit them. Your car is a solid colour which helps a lot when it comes to blending in repairs, so you shouldn't need a full respray. The bad news is, it is yellow which is more difficult to match, but a decent sprayer should be able to get an acceptable match if not a perfect one. Ask to see examples of previous work, that should re-assure you about quality of work. Any decent tradesman will be happy to let you see their work and any that aren't happy clearly have something to hide. Just keep in mind what you are after. A respray to concors standard is going to cost big bucks, but do you need that level of finish? There will be an ideal compromise that will suit your needs and your wallet.
Also, you don't necessarily need an offroad place to do some prep yourself, although I would agree it would be preferable. Assess the car yourself, look along the panels and pick out the minor dents, chips etc. Chips just need to be rubbed smooth with wet and dry and you can do this yourself, dents will obviously need knocking out and/or filling and you may not be happy with your own skills to do this, so leave for the pro's. All areas to be painted need to be rubbed down with 600 to 800 grade paper, again an easy job to do yourself. Talk to the body shop you choose and ask them what you can do yourself to reduce costs.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Thu 23 Dec 2010, 22:55

Its not bad bad, just lots of stone chips and several scratches over the front end
Only got 2 small dents in it but the colour is very dull

Will phone around a couple of places and see what happens
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by crow.magnum Fri 24 Dec 2010, 04:37

if i remember i will dig out the number of the guy i use hes in bridgewater ill pm it to you soon
crow.magnum
crow.magnum
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Fri 24 Dec 2010, 18:02

crow.magnum wrote:if i remember i will dig out the number of the guy i use hes in bridgewater ill pm it to you soon

Cheers dude

Was talking to a bloke in work and his son has just brought a Beatle in a bit of a sorry state
He found a company in Pill ( under the Avonmouth Brodge, j19, M5) who do campers and beatles but they had a 924 in there aswell.
They are charging him 2.5k to do all the work and bring it back to its former glory.
Was said that father and son team have got a passion seeing them back on the road and enjoy working on them
Will be having a run down there me thinks as he has reckomended them
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Fri 24 Dec 2010, 22:04

Cool!
tux
tux