werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My 944s The story so far..................

4 posters

Go down

My 944s The story so far.................. Empty My 944s The story so far..................

Post by Chris Hooper Sun 03 Oct 2010, 06:11

Well time for a bit of an update. You may remember I bought a 944s on eBay in the summer.When I bought it it was a good price and had some MOT and Tax and a good spec.
When I picked up the car it turned out not to have been described very well eg.No A/C or ABS.
I payed up any way as it looked tidy and was still an ok price.
Pulling out of the drive the clutch was almost completely gone and the box was pretty winy.Although to be fair on my private stretch of the M6 I did wind it up and it seemed fast enough from 70 - 120ish.
When I got it home and had a rely good look it was a bit ropey and the brakes are dire. I ordered a sach clutch on eBay. Then I found a box for sale near me and after a chat with the seller he agreed to fit it for me with the new clutch for a very reasonable price. So the car is now drivable. Unfortunately while fitting the box/clutch my man had a good look at the car and it looks like it has had an under bonnet fire at some stage and been cheaply repaired. The wiring has largely been changed out but bits like the expansion tank is brown etc.Also the dear suspension has been welded and he was doubtful if it would MOT. To be honest I got a Bit cheesed off by the hole thing so I left it for a while and tryed to forget I owned it.
So now up to date.I sold some shares and and some money to spend so after being pestered about the large paper weight on the drive I took it for an MOT at my local understanding garage.
It was in good company.

My 944s The story so far.................. Mot20112
Chris Hooper
Chris Hooper
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

My 944s The story so far.................. Empty Re: My 944s The story so far..................

Post by Chris Hooper Sun 03 Oct 2010, 06:45

Well either the MOT isn't what it used to be or the '44s isn't the death trap I thought it might be ThumbsUp

As for the rear suspension its like this. There is a hole in here somewhere on the passenger side
My 944s The story so far.................. Mot20113

On the drivers side it has a patch over the box section the MOT man thinks there maybe a hole underneath it and the patch is hiding it. It is also covering the rear beam mounting bolts not a major problem now but at some stage might be an inconvenience.
My 944s The story so far.................. Mot20115

A couple of hundred £ in welding should sort that out and apart from that its ok for a years MOT.
Chris Hooper
Chris Hooper
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

My 944s The story so far.................. Empty Re: My 944s The story so far..................

Post by tux Sun 03 Oct 2010, 07:25

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

Sounds like a bit of a mixed bag Chris, but stick with it and you will get there.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sun 03 Oct 2010, 09:29

Have a look at the project thread on my '44 you'll see that it was much worse than that, but now with the welding done it'll do another 20yrs service.
Well worth it Wink
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by saturn800 Sun 03 Oct 2010, 19:29

Glad you kept it Chris, you won't regret it.My 944s The story so far.................. Deliveryboy
saturn800
saturn800
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sun 03 Oct 2010, 20:55

Cerainly won't they're a real pleasure to drive, but that is a very odd bit of welding!
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum