werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insurance help needed urgently!

+3
Chris Hooper
saturn800
scarletporker
7 posters

Go down

Insurance help needed urgently! Empty Insurance help needed urgently!

Post by scarletporker Wed 18 Sep 2013, 07:22

I'll try to make this brief but its complicated. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Drove the Nurburgring and blew the engine on the last lap which dumped oil around one of the bends. Track clean up and fixing the car not the problem. The main issue is that a biker came off on the oil and was fortunately uninjured but damaged his bike. The police attended with Ring officials and a track statement was completed (not police statement) stating the accident was due to my engine dumping oil and the details of the injured party. I had to sign this statement.
My insurance company don't cover the ring but under EU law have to pay out for a 3rd party claim, which is being made by the biker. They will then seek to reclaim the money from me. They may also either refuse to bring my car home or charge me for this when they realise the 3rd party claim and breakdown was on the ring (not covered).

I have thought of several options to take;

- let the car be returned then provide my policy details to the biker and risk paying bike repairs and car transport to car insurance. Added to this will be the loss of my no claims I would expect.
- let the car be returned and pay the biker out personally, therefore reducing the risk of paying the repatriation and losing no claims
- let the car be returned and ignore all correspondence from Germany in the hope they'll give up. (The biker was insured for the track and would be paid out from his own)
pale
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

http://Www.pwphoto.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Insurance help needed urgently! Empty Re: Insurance help needed urgently!

Post by saturn800 Wed 18 Sep 2013, 08:36

Are you sure your insurance is invalid as you were not on a track day you were using a toll road in Germany, unless your policy specifically states non use on the Nurburgring I do not think they have a case for not paying out, also as the German police attended surely it is a public road.
saturn800
saturn800
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Hooper Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:32

Bloody hell sorry your in such a pinch.
For what it's worth honesty is usually the best policy
I "avoided" a toll on a bridge in the bottom of Southern Ireland a couple of years ago in the sure and certain knowledge there would be no way to chase me down but sure enough a week later a fine dropped through my door with an ANPR photo.
Good luck.
Chris Hooper
Chris Hooper
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Wed 18 Sep 2013, 18:00

The insurance policy specifically states the Nurburgring is excluded. The insurance ombudsman has declared that the Ring is a 'prepared track' so virtually all other insurance policies will also exclude it without having to name it specifically.
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Wed 18 Sep 2013, 19:52

I think I would have to agree with Chris, be upfront. Yes it is going to cost you long term, but your insurance should cover the upfront costs and you can work out a payment scheme to pay them back, I'm pretty sure they can't just demand the whole sum. At least then you will have a clear conscience and you won't be looking over your shoulder.
As for the car, it may be best to just leave it where it lies. Repatriation (if your insurers will cover it, remember this was mechanical failure, not an accident) will likely be £2K plus, then repair costs (I suspect this is going to mean a replacement motor from what I have heard) could easily end up being another £2K plus, for a car that is probably worth around half that.
For me, I think I would probably bite the bullet, pay the dues and chalk it up to experience. I know that is rough, but it will probably be the least painful route overall. Crying or Very sad 
Really sorry to hear of the whole episode Phil, I wouldn't even wish that on Rob never mind someone I liked.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Chris Wed 18 Sep 2013, 22:17

What about hiring a trailer and going back to pick the car up yourself, then it can be fixed at your leisure with parts as they become available and your wallet allows! Leave the insurance companies to sort out the biker.
Lord Chris
Lord Chris
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Hooper Wed 18 Sep 2013, 22:31

My thought exactly grab some mates get a pickup from Newton van rental and a trailer make a weekend of it. Fix the car at home besides you will have plenty of evenings free as going out is probably out of the question for a while. Sorry.
Chris Hooper
Chris Hooper
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Wed 18 Sep 2013, 23:48

Had advice off a car insurance assessor (a mate's father in law). He advised to get the car myself and pay the biker out myself and keep my insurance company out of the equation. I've had estimates from photos I took that the bike repairs will be £3-4k.

Will have to look at ferry/tunnel options with trailers.
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Hooper Thu 19 Sep 2013, 00:12

That sounds like the best option.
Good luck.
Chris Hooper
Chris Hooper
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Fri 20 Sep 2013, 06:11

Green flag bringing the car back under the policy despite me asking 3 times if they were sure as it broke down on the Nurburgring itself. Said it was covered so took names and details just in case.
Looks like the payout will be closer to £13k as the bike is a write off ,brand new Yamaha R6. Ah we'll, it's only money.

Thanks for your help guys, had loads from many friends. I've done all I can for the moment so going to enjoy the Ibiza weekend that's all paid for and try to forget things for a couple of days
drunken drunken drunken
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Tue 01 Oct 2013, 22:17

Well, Ibiza was great but the BM is still in Germany. Green Flag have been useless. Not ringing back and generally tying to put me off having the car returned.
I still haven't spoken with my insurer or given the details to the biker as I've been getting some legal advice. Also looked in to hiring a car with a tow hitch (if the GF repatriation goes pear shaped). There's nobody around here and no-one prepared to lend me their car for 2 days. Lizard will bring it back to Newbury for £950!

Last edited by scarletporker on Wed 02 Oct 2013, 00:28; edited 1 time in total
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Chris Tue 01 Oct 2013, 22:51

Have you thought of your local van hire, not the big nationals they often have vans with tow bars at very cheap rates.

If you really get stuck my mechanic can get a flat bed, but it will be more on the ferry and he'll need to drive and be paid.
Lord Chris
Lord Chris
Premium Member
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Mon 07 Oct 2013, 04:01

Green Flag definitely bringing the car home now. 3 weeks it's been sat in the garage. The biker claim is a little over €13,000. My insurers say that while I'm not covered (which I will try to challenge via the ombudsman) they will endeavour to dispute the claim on the basis that the biker could have fallen due to his speed or other substance in the track. We'll see No
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by hersham boy Sat 26 Oct 2013, 08:55

Have you heard anything from tara and seb?
hersham boy
hersham boy
Admin
Admin

https://theoc.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sat 26 Oct 2013, 09:29

Just seen this Phil, what a complete ballache this must be torning into, hope it doesn't come down to you having to pay out €13k on top of trying to get your car back Crying or Very sad
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Sun 27 Oct 2013, 20:44

hersham boy wrote:Have you heard anything from tara and seb?
Spoken with Tara via email almost weekly since getting back. Their car also took 4 weeks to be returned. The BM is fixed and running fine. The claim is with my insurer. Haven't heard anything in 2-3 weeks. Tara and Seb heard nothing from the other 911 driver at first but the claim is now with their insurer. Don't know how much the claim is. The problem they had with their car is more complicated than he thought and might be an engine out job.

924 up for sale, coupe gearbox came out yesterday but need a new clutch plate before putting the other box on then going to sell that too if I do have to pay anything out.
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by scarletporker Sat 29 Mar 2014, 07:24

Had a letter from my insurers yesterday. It reads

'we write in reference to the above incident and confirm that we have now closed our file as have settled the third party claim. Should you have any queries ring bla bla bla'

No mention of owing them anything. Not partying yet as waiting a couple of weeks to see if they send a bill but it doesn't suggest that.
 Insurance help needed urgently! 1486635692
scarletporker
scarletporker
Professor of B******s
Professor of B******s

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Sun 30 Mar 2014, 00:43

That has got to be encouraging. Fingers crossed.  ThumbsUp 
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down