werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boo! Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf!

4 posters

Go down

Boo!  Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf! Empty Boo! Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf!

Post by RPUK Fri 05 Nov 2010, 04:07

YES. I know Razz I'm obsessed, I have a tyre fetish. I am going to seek professional help, honest. Embarassed

On a more serious note I wandered round the old Golf today and one tyre is very borderline. The others are "OK" but might as well sort them all out at the same time and keep the balance right.

So goodbye Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s and hello Dunlop SP Sport Fast Responses all around I think. Drooling

errmmmm I need to go for a lie down. The excitement is too much! Embarassed

RPUK
Mods
Mods

http://www.racepicsuk.com/

Back to top Go down

Boo!  Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf! Empty Re: Boo! Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf!

Post by Mav666 Fri 05 Nov 2010, 06:19

Are you fitting the asymetrical ones or the V's??

Still got a soft spot for V treads, although with winter coming and my impending swap from 993 Cup2 to proper 944 D90's I think I'll be sticking with the deeper treads that are coming with the D90's.

F1's are great in most condition but just comical if it snows or freezes!!
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Boo!  Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf! Empty Re: Boo! Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf!

Post by RPUK Fri 05 Nov 2010, 06:56

The SP Sport Fast Responses are asymmetric. Vs look very cool but the Golf is about "transportation" not coolness.

I concur on the Eagle F1s being a nightmare in the snow and ice. Last winter's foul weather and the resulting comedy lack of traction meant that I couldn't get to work for three days - just a few flakes of snow and I couldn't get the car out of my road! I also had a nightmare trip across the Grampians in a blizzard just after Christmas. I nearly span off several times and slid out of control across several junctions. That prompted me to get a set of winter tyres for the old 15" Golf alloys which will go on the car next month.

The Porsche got Potenza S-02s... at least part of that decision was down to "cool looking tread pattern" but then that car isn't going to venture out in the snow.

RPUK
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by saturn800 Fri 05 Nov 2010, 22:37

Hmm. two people now with a rubber fetish.
Boo!  Now I need a new set of tyres for the Golf! Biggrinroll
saturn800
saturn800
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Sat 06 Nov 2010, 01:44

would be three if i had the money to burn on posh tyres
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

http://www.highways.gov.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sat 06 Nov 2010, 04:24

I don't have the money I just hunt out cheap part worns Laughing Laughing
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sat 06 Nov 2010, 04:25

Need to point out its the only time I'll buy 2nd hand rubber Razz
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Sat 06 Nov 2010, 10:55

second hand rubber!!
that just does not sound right
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

http://www.highways.gov.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sun 07 Nov 2010, 04:11

Laughing Laughing
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RPUK Mon 08 Nov 2010, 22:32

Used rubber! Eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuggggghhhhh Laughing

Strangely I couldn't get rid of my part worns. The people I offered them to didn't want my cast-offs Sad

RPUK
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by RPUK Tue 16 Nov 2010, 00:30

Heh... I have sold my used rubber to my mechanic, for the cost of a very good steak!

Just driven home on the new set of Dunlop SP Sport Fast Responses. My initial impression is very good indeed. Steering response is excellent and the noise levels are much lower than with the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s.

I wasn't pushing the grip envelope, though. I need to give the tyres time to bed in.

Amusingly the wear rating on them is 280, exactly twice that of the Bridgestone Potenza S-02s on the Porsche.

RPUK
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down