werepistonbroke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MR2 for a Porsche?

5 posters

Go down

MR2 for a Porsche? Empty MR2 for a Porsche?

Post by DavidL Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:08

Hey there,

I was wondering what any of you might think if swapping a mk2 MR2 for this: http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1860248 ??

I love my MR2...but I can't really afford it as a daily runner and was thinking of using it as a second 'weekend' car, but this would be almost as expensive as using it as a daily such is the tax/insurance in Ireland. But this Porsche would qualify for 'vintage tax' - 50 euro a year - which is 600 euros less than the MR2.

Having said that, I know little about Porsches so maby it would be a silly gamble. What is this particular model like?

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section, I was not really sure. This is my first post but I have been a member for a while and enjoy the site Very Happy

Last edited by DavidL on Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:28; edited 1 time in total

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

MR2 for a Porsche? Empty Re: MR2 for a Porsche?

Post by Monkeymagic Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:20

Managed to find it once but cant find it again now
Didnt manage to see what model it was
is it a 2.0 n/a, 2.5 s or the 2.5 turbo

Does not seem to bad, if its the 2.0 ltr then its a volkswagon/audi so parts can be cheap and they are easy to work on
Turbo/ S are porsche so are a different thing

What ever you decied - good luck
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

http://www.highways.gov.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by saturn800 Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:29

Give it a go it's a standard 2Ltr so parts are not a problem.MR2 for a Porsche? Englishman
saturn800
saturn800
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:30

Thanks. I think it's a 2.0 n/a but I will try to find out more.

Here is the link again, hope it works...

http://cars.donedeal.co.uk/for-sale/cars/1860248

Any Irish members on here?

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Sat 05 Feb 2011, 04:51

You can't really go wrong with the 2 litre n/a which is what the car you are looking at is, and quite an early one at that.
The mechanics are VAG parts bin, so they are easy to work on and parts are cheap. Body shells were galvanised so rust is not usually an issue. If there is any, look carefully for accident damage. Electrics are the achilles heal, so check carefully that everything works, especially stuff like the heated rear window.
Surprisingly practical on a daily basis, you can comfortably transport a fridge with the seats folded down believe it or not! The rear seats however are near useless for all but small kids.
Should see very late 20's to the gallon around town and mid 30's on a run. As reliable as anything else on a day to day basis.
Don't expect it to set your pants on fire like the MR2 though, the performance while respectable, even for today, isn't in supercar territory, around 10 seconds from rest to 60. Similar weight distribution to the MR2 so handling is good.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Sat 05 Feb 2011, 05:19

As Tux said - im bloody useless when it comes to mechanics but have done alot of work for the last 3 mots plus doing it up generally
Mines an auto and i do about 250 miles to £50 of petrol but i dont drive mad
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Sat 05 Feb 2011, 05:38

Thanks for the replies...very interested now. Is is actually practical as a daily car? What about say if it was a summer car, any probs associated with lying it up most of the year?

Pity there are none in Ireland, I'd love to drive one or even see up close!

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Sat 05 Feb 2011, 05:41

Mines been stood up since August last year and with all the snow etc was worried

Started this morning no probs - just have to find the V5 now so i can tax it
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sat 05 Feb 2011, 06:04

They are tough as old boots, and great fun. And in Ireland they are one they cheapest ways to have fun and still give you a classic 80's motor.

Normally I wouldn't say it but knowning what you guys pay to keep a car on the road over there, so long as the following are OK on the 924 then go for it, you are going to have about €1000 in the first year Wink

But please check the following....

Sills
Front wing bottoms, and if there is some rust make sur eyou check the inner wings around bolted join to the wing itself.
Fuel and brake lines.
Engine condition.
All brakes, rear are drum brakes and the cylinders can go soft

They are non-interference so even if the belt snaps you are safe, and changing it is an hours work and easy as anything.

Anything you need to know just ask. As Tux says thats an early car and quite rare to find now, and they really are great fun especially on those country roads you have over on the Emerald
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Sat 05 Feb 2011, 06:28

Thanks v much. When you say the fuel/brake lines what exactly should I be looking for? Also engine condition, are there certain things I should be listening out for?

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Sat 05 Feb 2011, 06:33

Fuel and brake lines tend to corrode after a while as they were steel as original. Just make sure they aren't crumbling and the rubber flexi hoses are in good condition, not bulging or brittle.

Mine usually does the shows in the summer and a trip to the Nurburgring in Germany every year and sits idle for the 6 months over winter. No lay up prep done and the worst I have experienced is a flat battery and a stuck air sensor on the K-Jet. Both easily fixed.

Where in Ireland are you? May be worth firing a PM to 2.0 8valve on this very forum as he has a couple of cars and is based up in the North somewhere. If you are local he may be able to let you look over a car and get a feel for them.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Sat 05 Feb 2011, 07:01

Are they easy to locate??

I'm actually in the South East of Ireland but I'll send him a pm anyway thanks Smile

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tux Sat 05 Feb 2011, 07:05

Just get under the drivers side of the car and they are just behind the chassis rail. Dead simple to find and you can follow them from there.
Brake pipes are not the end of the world to change, especially if you can do it yourself, except the main front to rear which goes over the fuel tank and can be a bit of a pain. Fuel pipes are a bit more involved.
tux
tux
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sat 05 Feb 2011, 20:58

Main fail point for the fuel line is where the run from under the floor pan up over the rear axle, not the easiest of jobs to replace them but its just because of there they go. But repalce with fuel rated kunifer and they'll last longer then the car Wink
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidL Tue 12 Feb 2013, 09:14

Hey,

Sorry for resurrecting my old thread but I've kept an interest in 924's and have recently spotted this come up for sale near me:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4551751

Any Irish owners on here?!

DavidL
Forum Member
Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mav666 Sun 14 Apr 2013, 11:19

Good to hear you're still looking, have you spoken to the seller about a price??
Mav666
Mav666
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monkeymagic Tue 16 Apr 2013, 12:57

Looks tidy enough but theres no shots of the interior - not uncommon to have cracks on the top of the dash and the seat bollsters on the drivers seat to be worn - its a low car to get in and out of.
if you get one - park the passenger side of the car against the curb and see your passenger struggle to get out as the door cill is the same height! Razz
Monkeymagic
Monkeymagic
Mods
Mods

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down